Why we are doing this
Social entrepreneurs face several major challenges in their work, such as:
- Lack of sufficient investment capital to fulfill their business goals;
- Insufficient business acumen or experience to build successful impact businesses;
- Insight into areas like impact evaluation, community ownership and scaling.
Toniic serves social entrepreneurs by leveraging our member’s financial and intellectual capital, the way conventional venture capitalists have done to support the growth and development of more conventional entrepreneurs. In doing so, Toniic strengthens the ecosystem through access to investment, professional networks and knowledge amplifying the social entrepreneur’s impact.
Toniic investors are interested in transformational enterprises which:
- deliver positive social and/or environmental impact across any sector. Sectors that have received high traction within Toniic include agriculture, health, education, energy, environment, financial services, and technology
- seek between $50,000 and $3M USD
- address a large market inefficiency through innovative solutions
- have a scalable business model with early revenue and proof of concept
- are led by a strong team with deep domain knowledge
- are incorporated as for-profit or hybrid structures
HOW THE PROCESS WORKS
Submit an investor deck and detailed financials. Presentation deck, business plan, Gust link and other materials are optional submissions for this initial screening. In the materials sent, please include information about the following (preferably in English):
- Customer problem
- Business model
- Target market & competitive landscape
- Competitive advantage
- Management team experience
- Capital seeking & use of funds
- Proof of concept, traction & scalability
- Go to market strategy
- Financial history & projections
- Social impact history & projections
Within three weeks, of receiving your application, you should receive a response from one of our Deal Analysts. If there is a clear match, you will be invited onto Toniic’s deal management system. At that time, you will provide us with more detailed information about your venture including, but not limited to detailed business plans, financials, and pitch presentations. Once those materials are submitted, they will be reviewed and within two weeks you will receive guidance to make your investment opportunity “Ready for Consideration” on to the Toniic platform.
When your deal is “Ready for Consideration” on our deal management system, it will be live for our members to review. Toniic endeavors to actively match investment opportunities to the members who are most interested in the kind of investment your venture represents. In some instances, you may be invited to present on our bi-monthly investor calls or live at one of Toniic’s quarterly global members meetings.
If one or more Toniic members are interested in exploring an investment opportunity relative to your venture, they will contact you directly. Please understand that Toniic members see numerous investment opportunities and that Toniic members cannot invest in every deal. In practice, only a small percentage of deals will receive funding. For that reason, it is important for entrepreneurs to keep their information on Toniic’s deal management system up to date and as complete as possible. Should your status change in any way, please update Toniic immediately.